PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Here it comes: Syria
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2018, 19:53
TEEEJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A_Van

It seems that the Syrians used everything they had in terms of AD: C-125, C-200, 1st gen of BuK and 2-3 other types of AD systems, still from the times of Soviet Union. They even do not have C-300, while they were sold to Cyprus/Greece in 90's.

I wonder what exactly the intercept ratio was (per type of missile and per type of AD complex). First announcements differ greatly and seem not trustworthy. Western leaders are just saying that the goals have been achieved, which sounds vague. Conversely, the Russian MoD gives too detailed numbers, which I doubt a lot (i.e. 71 missile intercepted of 100+ and also split is provided per attacked facility/airbase):
https://function.mil.ru/news_page/co...2171300@egNews

It's in Russian but autotranslation should work...
The Russian Ministry of Defence played the same game during 2017 with the cruise missile strike on Shayrat airbase, Syria. The claim then was that 23 out of 59 were shot down. The question is why do the Russian Ministry of Defence play these silly games with ridiculous claims? Saying that I guess I really know the answer that propaganda must take priority.

See reply to the Shayrat claims later in the post.

The US analysis is that the Syrians were completely taken by surprise during last nights strike and only launched after the targets had been hit.

McKenzie: "Syria fired 40 surface to air missiles into the air after strike on ballistic (unguided trajectory) to no effect....after the 105 US and allied missiles had already landed."
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...ria-airstrikes

You can see from satellite imagery that there was more than 23 hits at Shayrat. US General Joseph Votel briefed at the time that 57 out of the 59 cruise missiles struck their targets.

April 7, 2017

ISI FIRST TO ANALYZE SHAYRAT AIRFIELD MISSILE ATTACK

Based on very high resolution imagery captured less than 10 hours after the attack, ISI presents in depth battle damage assessment

ISI very high resolution satellite imagery was able to reveal the results of the Tomahawk cruise missiles attack on the Al-Shayrat Air Base. According to ISI experts, the total of 44 targets hit. Several targets may have hit twice.

An in-depth examination of the damage to the objectives shows that 13 double hardened aircraft shelters (HAS) got 23 hits. 5 workshops got hit. The workshops are not necessarily related to WMD, but to aircraft and their ability to do maintenance and fly.

Ten ammunition storages got hit. Seven fuel reservoirs of the AFB got hit at two sites with eight hits total. Two locations remain untouched. One SA6 Battery utterly destroyed along with its radars and control systems. In total, five SA6 Battery elements hit.

The results show that the target hits were accurate and that the Tomahawks have been used effectively against quality targets. Although 58 missiles hit the base, it seems that the overall damage to the base is limited because the warhead of the Tomahawk is not considered large and weighs about 450 kg.
Satellite imagery analysis at following link.

ISI first to analyze Shayrat airfield missile attack - ISI