PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When are you allowed to put your hand back on thrust levers after V1?
Old 14th Apr 2018, 17:36
Capt Ecureuil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LEM

Countless accidents have happened because the captain initiated a reject beyond V1.

Either because:
A wrong decision.
An instinctive reaction in panic or whatever.
A heart attack or similar.

The captain of a BOAC Trident suffered one, and the takeoff was rekected when just airborne.... all dead.
Are you referring to G-AYVD in Bilbao?

I seem to remember that the hands were removed from the thrust levers but the Captain then put his hands on them and closed them whilst still firmly on the ground due to running in to standing water and certainly no heart attack and no one died.... I might be wrong though about the hands.
I can't think of another Trident accident anything like similar except G-ARPI where it was suggested the Captain Stan Key might have been suffering a heart attack but that certainly wasn't a reject or anything near.

Not thinking of a TWA Tristar aborting after getting airborne at JFK are you? But then no one was killed in that.

To add.... I remove hands at V1 and then guard them at Thrust reduction, nothing in the FCOM contradicts that as far as I'm aware......I also take my hands off the thrust levers after landing and then let my oppo pull reverse..... but that's a different conversation

Last edited by Capt Ecureuil; 14th Apr 2018 at 17:48.