PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways
Thread: British Airways
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2018, 11:16
Cazza_fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter47
What do people think of BA's plans to offer no frills long hail fares with checked baggage costing extra? The way ahead or an over-reaction to others? I think that PeopleExpress did it back in the early 80s and maybe Laker but it died out. I'm sure that PE's charges were less in real terms than the £40 BA is advocating - can anyone remember what they were?

I suppose that it makes sense for those doing long weekends in places such as New York but I can see overhead bins getting full very quickly and problems if families get split up - it already happens with LoCos.
I can see why they're offering it. It gives them a chance to potentially increase what would have been their original base fare anyway by giving the image that you're getting an additional service. It also streamlines the product from the domestic and shorthaul offering too. Don't forget these "Basic" fares still include the full service on the booked flight - so on longhaul a full complimentary bar and meal or snack service is still provided in World Traveller.

However, any encouragement to increase cabin baggage in an aircraft cabin these days is a BIG negative. People fighting for overhead locker space, slow boarding and increased delays when it eventually has to be added to the hold anyway are just some of the headaches it creates. I know the 747/777 aircraft suffer from lack of overhead locker space "down the back" on busy flights, but this will also translate into further issues on the A320 fleet as passengers transfering onto their onward connecting flights with the same "Basic" fare to/from the UK and Europe...