PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Losing landing ability and confidence
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2018, 05:58
cavok_flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyingwael330
Hello everyone ,

I am currently an atpl integrated student pilot with around 60 hours of flight time .
I was training on the diamond da 40 plane and got 50 hours on it , and my landings were pretty much most times good .
Recently due to mechanical issues with the diamond , i had to switch to a cessna 172 for my hour building flying phase . I now have almost 10 hours on the c172 which are mostly added up from cruising between airports and landing once a day , and the landings are bad now , and i have to say that i feel that i returned to zero with my flaring abilities and this is making me lose my landing confidence and flare judging ability .
My other fear is when i return to the da40 i would have lost my landing ability in it too .
Since now im already in the hour building phase ,,scheduling touch and gos would be difficult , and i think that im running out of time in my training to be good at landings again . .
Is it normal to still do many bad landings with this flight time experience ?
What do you think guys ?
Any training stories from other students are welcome .

Thanks in advance .

Doing my CPL flying in a C172RG right now and what helps me is to make a mental image how the a/c looks out the windscreen when parked. This is the minimum attitude when flairing. Also, airspeed is critcal since there is less ground effect in the flair in a C172 than a DA40. My instructor has a Target Approach Speed of 63 kt, then add 50% of the wind factor (NOT WIND SPEED) & 50% for gusts, max. total +10 kts. If you hold this speed on final, every landing is a greaser Do not be afraid to go around! If it looks/feels wrong, throttle forward and set it up again!!