PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline gender pay gap
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2018, 06:01
Deltasierra010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wiggy
Lots of to jax’s above thoughts.

1. Airlines will happily hold down/cap T&Cs on elements of the workforce if they can get away with it......

2. If the ratio of male to female applicants at the entry level is as skewed as is often reported then I do suspect the bank of Mum and Dad, influence of Mum, Dad and peer group etc will have a lot to do with this..and FWIW there are plenty of males who can’t afford the “L3” route so I’m wary of female only financial incentives....

And no, I don’t have an answer.
As President of the Bank of Mum and Dad I would never pay for or even encourage either a son or daughter to fly, if they want to fly they can spend their weekly allowance and anything else they can earn themselves, realistically that will mean the local gliding club or air cadets. If they decide that's what they want I will help them through University, after that it's up to them, one of my nephews is on the ladder now, at 30 he is flying in Maun, it has been tough but he will get there.
Plenty of men are willing to commit to that hard grind to realize their ambition, my impression is that young women, seeing the hardship that is going to involve, wisely choose an easier career. So unless they show exceptional talent and are recruited for pilot training by the RAF or some other organization they will get a " proper job".