PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How not to evacuate a plane
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2018, 13:15
jurassicjockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GrahamO
If staff paid for their flights, just like every other passenger, then airline revenues would increase and the cost of a commercial passenger ticket would be lower (Not a lot but these are facts)

So by giving away a ticket to staff for free the commercial passenger IS paying a higher cost.

This is simply proven by the fact that the company revenues are higher if they sold the ticket to the member of staff so the cost to a paying passenger is lower as the fixed costs get divided up by a larger number of passengers.

Two people on a two seater aircraft is a lower cost to the passenger if both pay. The same applies for larger aircraft as the price a passenger pays is related to the revenues the company makes and not just the numerical number of seats sold.
Some interesting logic there. If we extrapolate that a bit, perhaps staff should pay the last second rate for the ticket. That would make your ticket price even lower. Or maybe we should pay the last second, business class rate for our ticket. Maybe you can suggest what rate we should pay for a ticket that doesn't actually come with a seat. Should the other passengers subsidize my hotel costs, when I can't get out of a city for 3 days.
About half of my travel is done on confirmed tickets now. Best case scenario, my staff travel works out to a really good seat sale with the advantage of last minute booking.
But how did we get here on a thread talking about evac?