PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1968 FLYING SCHOLARS?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 13:07
Smeagol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a 'blast from the past' this thread is.

Was awarded a Special Flying Award in 1968 after attending OASC (did not know what it was when asked, "Would I like to be considered for a ..." at the final interview, just said, "Yes Sir" and found out after.)

Spent the Easter school holidays 1969 plus a week or so, at OATS, Kidlington getting the 30 free hours plus the extra 5 that my parents paid for me to get my PPL. As others have said, most flying in PA28s but with spinning in the Zlin.

Unfortunately for me this did not lead to the flying career I had dreamed of as I failed a medical at Biggin Hill the next year when applying for a University Cadetship. The medics found a heart murmur which was ascribed to my having mild rheumatic fever between the medical at the Test in Advance when the SFA was awarded, and the later one, which ruled me out for General Duties (the diagnosis was wrong as I have a bicuspid aortic valve which I was born with, but I guess I would have been rejected because of that anyway!). I was offered an Engineering Cadetship ( I was going to take an engineering degree) but decided that I could not bear having a career being so close to aircraft and not allowed to fly them. I have spent 40 odd years in the oil & gas business as an engineer, travelling the world and being paid pretty well for the privilege so I cannot complain.

Anyone else on this thread who was at Kidlington doing their Flying Scholarship in April '69? There were quite a few of us 17 and 18 year olds but the intervening 49 years have made me forget all the names.