PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does your flight school charge for these exams?
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 01:15
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ComradeRoo
I say if you'd signed up for a full training course - it is a bit low to charge for these "exams" taking into account amount of money you will end up paying for training. Whatever people may try to argue - they cost only the worth of A4 paper and a printer cartridge.

I'd also be wary of "you need to do a bit more hours to polish this and that..." requests.
with respect, after doing one of these exams, at most schools, the student should also be debriefed (time will depend on how they went) and areas of deficiency addressed or discussed, with an instructor.

Where I work we don't charge for the exams or KDR review etc for those early exams but it does require someone with appropriate training to set up and if necessary administer the exam, to be available afterwards to go through any KDRs or student questions (and that means time away from briefings/flying) and I do not see it as poor form that some schools charge the student for exams as a result.

In addition (not directed at you but concerning the cost to schools of providing early ab-initio in house exams) are the following situations:

Some students will book an exam, so an instructor (or perhaps 2 so one can set up and one do after exam stuff) is then organised to be available to set up, supervise if necessary and then later debrief the student and also fill in any paperwork afterwards.

A briefing or exam room will be kept free so is unavailable for other instructors and students or students preparing for navs etc (many small schools have only a handful of rooms available).

Then that morning the student rings up to say, "sorry - I couldn't do any study as I had heaps on at work this week, could you book me in later in the week please?" The instructor has been organised (sometimes for a week in advance) so their other lessons will fit around supervision/debrief duties and sometimes other customers looking to squeeze in a lesson/brief may not be able to get a booking with that person as they can't fit it in. The exam student doesn't show and does not see it as a problem for their instructor or school as it is only an exam not a flight.

The school and other students may be inconvenienced, the school may have turned down a paying customer, the instructor may lose a flight (and most are paid by flying/briefing hour).

Similarly some students turn up for the exam totally unprepared ("very busy at work and family duties so couldn't study" and openly say they are probably going to fail but thought they may as well have a go and see as they can always have another shot later and maybe they will get lucky anyway. Sometimes that student will sit the exam 3 times like that.

The school has organised someone to look after you and organised their bookings around your exam. You see it as a trivial inconvenience. Any wonder some schools charge? Those above scenarios are not uncommon.

I personally don't mind not being paid for those duties if the student is motivated and prepared.

Usually the extra time or juggling isn't a big drama especially if the student is prepared to hang around afterwards to fit in with the instructors schedules.

Like most instructors, I want students to help students do well and better their flying journey but I also perfectly understand why schools may charge for the exams and do not begrudge them at all.

I'd also be wary of "you need to do a bit more hours to polish this and that..." requests.
Again with respect, if I say that, it is because I do think you need polish and I am doing it for your long term benefit. You may think you are the best judge of your flying ability - many pilots believe themselves to be the best judge of their ability.

For an early student though, I am the person who will be held responsible if I say you are good to go when I suspect you may need a bit more polish.

If you don't believe me, it may be worth looking for someone whose analysis of your skill level matches yours. Both you and I will feel happier...