PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1968 FLYING SCHOLARS?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2018, 14:59
LOMCEVAK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the good fortune to be awarded a Flying Scholarship at Halfpenny Green in 1972. My first solo was just 6 weeks after my 17th birthday in PA28-140 G-AZMX. My instructor was Bert Benson and the school was run by Ray McKenzie-Blyth with whom I am still in touch, and he has posted here in the past. Co-incidentally, I started to frequent pubs at the same time (I was tall and got away with it!). Bitter was 10p per pint, mild 9p and 'best' 11p! Some things you never forget. I joined the RAF a year later on a University Cadetship and have flown professionally ever since.

I first left mother earth in an aeroplane in 1968 as a CCF cadet on an air experience flight in a RAF C-130 from RAF Fairford; this was some 50 years after the formation of the RAF. I am still flying UK military registered aircraft, including RAF airframes, professionally as we pass the RAF's 100th anniversary. This must mean that the RAF is quite young or I am quite old - or a combination of the two! I certainly have never forgotten the start to my powered flying career that the Flying Scholarship gave me.

L