PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Part 91 - Fuel Reserve.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2018, 09:22
Cloudee

Received 79 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by LeadSled
Folks,
Despite the "pile-on" to Old Ako, quoting the CAAP etc, it is still a good question.
I remind you that no two FOIs (or most anybody else, for that matter) could agree on how to calculated fuel in the Norfolk Island ditching, how do you in a light aircraft?
I speak from having had experience in the matter!!
Particularly if you are guilty until proven innocent, ie: if you bear an evidential burden to prove you did have "30 minutes" remaining at touchdown.
It is easy with a large aircraft, there will be published tables of fuel flows, including for holding speeds at 1500 ft, and this is the accepted burn rate in may airline fuel policies, and widely accepted by national authorities in satisfying the 30 FFR requirement.
BUT!! For a light aircraft, piston engine --- there is no "normal" or "cruise", so what figure is to be used?? And how is it to be measured??
Tootle pip!!
My interpretation of this fuel policy: Strict liability does not mean you have to prove your innocence. CASA still have to prove the elements of the offence. In this case, if CASA prove that you did not have 30 mins of fuel remaining at the conclusion of your landing and if you did not call “mayday”, you have no defence and are guilty.