PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Part 91 - Fuel Reserve.
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2018, 06:48
Lead Balloon

Received 419 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Ixixly
Sunfish, surely in this case it is less about making us into criminals and ensuring we take the correct action? There are plenty of Pilots who simply don't want to "Make a fuss" or "Deal with the paperwork" this way it's set out in a clear manner that instructs them to declare an "Emergency" which then gives ATC the full authority to do whatever is necessary to ensure you get down in a timely manner.

I forget the specific incident and I'm sure there's been more than one where a Pilot hasn't declared an actual emergency and should have which resulted in the situation being far worse than it should have been because ATC either weren't entirely sure it was a full emergency or had their hands tied in what they could do for you considering it hasn't been declared an emergency situation yet.

I'm not fan of CASA but this one doesn't seem so bad, perhaps poorly worded for the lay person though.
But landing with (or arriving at blocks?) with 29 minutes rather than 30 minutes of reserve is not an “actual emergency”. At least not on the face of the dictionary meanings of those words.

If it’s so important, we should make the penalty for failing to “making a fuss” life imprisonment or death. Then everyone would surely speak up.

Now that I come to think of it, why not make the penalty for stuffing up fuel calculations and in-air fuel management life imprisonment or death. Then, surely, no one would ever make the mistake.

The solution to most problems in rarely yet another law, or the addition of more complication to existing law. The solution is more education. In the case of fuel, the solution is even more education and more education after that.

Unfortunately, in Australia, at least, the willingness to “speak up” has been diminished by the lack of trust in ATSB and CASA. Good luck with restoring trust in them!

Last edited by Lead Balloon; 31st Mar 2018 at 07:03.