PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2018, 14:48
Auster Fan

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
One of my more memorable memories of Swanton occurred when for some reason, on either an Easter or Whitsun course (in the late 80s I think), there were two of us as Course Admin Officer. Flying had ceased temporarily due to a thunderstorm passing by, when there was an almighty crash and bang, followed closely by the reappearance of the other Admin Officer (Des O’Brien) looking very shaken; he had been inside the control tower when it was struck by lightning... according to him the air turned blue (probably in all respects!).

I think it was on the same course where he very carefully started to tow the caravan to the other end of the airfield due to a run change, but it wasn’t until he had disappeared over the crest of the airfield that he realised that he had left it behind. It had become unhitched shortly after he pulled away and no one felt they wanted to stop him! I remember watching one of the Viking instructors, Paul Baldwin helpless with laughter in the rear seat of his aircraft as he watched it all unfold...