PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment (merged)
Old 25th Mar 2018, 11:22
Yodax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick feedback from my assessment.
Most of it is as a lot of other people described, so I won't go into detail, but I will mention what surprised me.

In my sim I was at east midlands, cleared to join the hold for the approach.
I brief PM to do a parallel entry as I have to set up, but I decide to help him out since we got cleared when we where really close and I didn't have time to brief him properly on the entry. Therefore I configure on the turn and outbound leg.
During outbound leg, I get smokes in the cabin, and this is che chicken and egg situation.

I had 2 choices:
A. Ask another hold, do a full DODAR/NITS, and then complete the race-track procedure
B. Continue on the outbound which being a racetrack leads to approach, and basically skip dodar and nits.
What I did: I replied the cabin crew "I will be back to you if there is time, but expect an emergency landing with evacuation on rwy" (so I didn't nits or dodar berofre that).
I Checked the aircraft was configured and took control, briefed PM on the remaining outbound leg and asked "are you familiar with this approach?" he said yes, so I gave basic info like inbound course, ils ident and calls i expected him to do, no time to brief go around and again, no DODAR, i just asked him if he agreed landing soon was best.
We went late for the turn, like 3nm late on the procedure and did not notify tower in the heat of the moment.
Intercepted ILS, pretty clean glideslope and landing.

The instructor looked pretty disappointed after this, and I didn't pass.

I chose this because they say "Treat it as a real flight", therefore I did what I would do again and again: save the passengers and don't stay 5 minutes holding with smokes which might choke, poison or burn the aircraft. I got down in 3 minutes making a dirty-ish procedure and reducing crm to minumum.

But since it is wrong, maybe somwoene doing the assessmene in the future wants to try and hold, do all the dodar process and land. He might then object that you wasted time, it's a catch 22 situation in my opinion, but that's all I have to say.

Apart from this, he didn't talk much at all during the sim, no instructions on pitch/power, he expected us to be on the ball and fully proficient without any help.

Departure was non standard clearance, turn during level off and he gave us accelerations, but nothing you wouldn't expect in an assessment.

Hope it helps.