PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ken Andrews. Bankstown instructor now age 98 and still OK
Old 20th Mar 2018, 09:41
roundsounds

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
I remember Ken from his days at Camden during the 1970s. He was Chief Pilot at Skyservice Aviation flying Norsemans on aerial survey, trial fire bombing and skydiving operations. He bailed out of a Norseman off Bondi following and engine failure (VH-GSF OR GSG?). The owner of the outfit, Ed Fleming restored P51 VH-IVI for Ray Whitbread and Ken test flew it after the restoration and conversion to a 2 seat / dual control machine. He also checked the new owner out in IVI. Ken was also CFI at a couple of schools, including Camden Aviation. He also flew the Sopwith Pup and Foker Triplane replicas which were assembled at Camden. I’m pretty sure his son Warren flew them too when Neil Cottee owned them and operated them out of Sproules Lane, Bowral doing mini airshows to promote Pacific Films. I remember Ken is a true gentleman and a highly competent aviator.

---------------------------

VH-GSF, 18 January 1970. Nine POB all bailed out. "Engine failed and burst into flames during a skydiving display off Manly Beach. Eight parachutists bailed out, followed by pilot at 5,000 feet. All were rescued by boats. The Norseman struck the sea 6 miles off the beach."