PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How unhealthy is flying/Being a Commercial Pilot?
Old 18th Mar 2018, 21:43
blind pew

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Murmur

Thanks.
I had various food allergies especially on the death cruiser. The food allergies were manageable until I had an overdose of cortisone injections administered by a French doctor which brought on the gluten allergy.
Sure stress forms part of it..mine was the physical side of it..once I really knew how to fly and didn't have to deal with too many ar@rseholes especially the funny hand shake brigade I found the job great fun.
A few years after I lost my license I flew an 8 hour plus flight in an overloaded glider with the CofG behind the aft datem. Except for hardly being able to walk (I often lock my body using the rudder pedals in turbulence after being knocked semi conscious in the alps) I had no stomach problems. Real stress is flying a paragliding comp in South Africa in mad conditions and hearing the comp director pleading for a rescuer to continue trying to resus a guy I had taken breakfast with. Had a lot of f@@k what do I do now moments especially instructing winching with a 7.2 V8 at the end of 1km length of wire.
My digestion was never a problem then.
Nor was it coastal sailing in sometimes appauling conditions for hours on end.
I still push myself physically, climbing mountains with 20 kgs on my back but it's rare that I can remain for more than an hour and a half flying ..pure fatigue after all I'm 68..very little illness now I don't work and a lot of my travelling is hours in a car.
It narrows it down to commercial flying, what I am breathing, eating away from home, medication (larium) and contacts with Johnnie foreigners diseases.