PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Green Endorsements ?
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2018, 08:54
Lima Juliet

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts
Indeed he did if this is the same gentleman - taken from the 151 Sqn website:

15 February 1982

S/Ldr Derek Sharpe and his navigator F/Lt Lea Pearce, a former Vulcan Bomber navigator, were flying at low level when they hit a duck as the Hawk was flying at around 500 mph. The duck shattered the cockpit canopy. The Daily Telegraph reported the event in detail as described by S/Ldr Sharpe:

"Suddenly there was a great big thud in the face and I couldn't see any more. The wind was making an infernal noise. I pulled back the stick and closed the throttle. I felt no pain. I wiped what I could away from my eyes and I could just see a little out of my right eye. There was muck and blood and feathers everywhere. I couldn't open my left eye. I could just about make out the cockpit, but couldn't see out. I latched on to the instruments and crouched down under the dashboard because of the gale. As we slowed down to 150 mph I was able to talk to the navigator in the rear seat."

F/Lt Pearce helped to keep the dual-controlled trainer jet in the air, reading out the speed and height and they headed for Wittering, Cambridgeshire, about six minutes' flying time away.

Then the aircraft's speed reduced as it came into land, and the fierce air flow into the cockpit eased.

"I said we would probably be ejecting because I couldn't see, but in the end I just had sufficient vision to put her down in the middle of the runway. The fire crew couldn't believe it. They just stood and stared when this gory, blood covered character got out. It was a bit like driving up the M1 at 150 mph with a shattered windscreen while only being able to see out of one eye."

S/Ldr Sharpe had three operations, including, he says, "chromo-therapy and welding the eye back with a very cold gas." He explained, "My nose is better than before I broke it as a kid and the surgeons have finally straightened it out."

S/Ldr Sharpe was awarded the Air Force Cross ( AFC) for this action.
Did the Nav get a green endorsement? If not then I would suggest he should have?

[Just re-read Sharpend’s post and it seems the Nav did ]

Last edited by Lima Juliet; 18th Mar 2018 at 11:55.