PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Going from EK widebody Capt to LCC in Europe. Opinions?
Old 17th Mar 2018, 04:01
springbok449

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you join the Orange LCC in LGW, one thing you won’t have is a stable roster, EK roster is far more stable especially during the summer months..
There’s a lot to be said about being in your own bed every night but the 5 consecutive earlies are a killer.

Driving into work, getting the bus from the car park, operating 4 sectors often with delays due unrealistic block times and turnaround times, slots often results in operating close to or into discretion then driving home and doing it all again the next day and the day after etc, can be really tiring, living more than 20 mins from the airport would only add to your woes.

Having said all of that you will find that your quality of life on your days off will improve dramatically, if you have family and especially kids they will thrive in a “freeer” environment. Your kids will be able to do after school activities without having to take a mortgage to pay for them.

There will most definitely be less night flying and no jet-lag, you will fly mainly with like minded individuals and you won’t live in fear of losing your job every time you go to work like some do.

1a sound asleep sums it up well too but you need to consider the above.

My last point would be, leave EK and return home? Absolutely! You will wish you had done it earlier! But you really need to consider some of the above before putting pen to paper with some airlines. Some love the LCC lifestyle, some hate it, it really is up to the individual.

The only thing I miss from DXB are my mates that are still there!

Good luck!

Last edited by springbok449; 17th Mar 2018 at 15:47.