PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How unhealthy is flying/Being a Commercial Pilot?
Old 15th Mar 2018, 11:33
KayPam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fireflybob
The author also mentions the difficulty he has when talking to CEOs etc of companies and convincing them (with proof) that sleep deprived employees are less likely to be productive etc.
How stupid can they be...

On the other hand, it's not too surprising because the CEO of my company (small airline manufacturer) strongly believes there is and will be a pilot shortage ...
Originally Posted by fireflybob
Finally, slightly off thread but interesting to note that the circadian rhythm of adolescents is about 2/3 hours different from adults. So when you have difficulty getting your teenager out of bed in the morning it's simply because for various reasons nature has programmed them for a different circadian rhythm. Many mental health conditions such as schizophrenia start in adolescence and the author suggests this is caused by insufficient sleep and that school times should be adjusted for this age group (e.g. start at 1000, finish at 1900) for this reason. School start times have become progressively earlier with many children having to wake at 0600 or even earlier to catch the school bus for early school start times and/or "breakfast clubs". I'd just finished reading this section of the book and switched the news on to hear about the shooting at a school in Florida which got me thinking! You have to read the book to read some compelling evidence on how mental health issues can be tracked back to repeated sleep disruption. There are also ramifications for sleep deprived aircrew and their long term mental health, I believe.
If only you had been minister of education when I was in school...