PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missing Twin Squirrel: Wales/Ireland
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2018, 09:36
anchorhold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Following on to crabs point probabably we all need a mentor regardless of our experience. I have mentored ex students and sydicates/fying groups over the years and sometimes you have to point out the error of pilots ways.

Whether I was mentoring or authorising I think the criteria may vary between different pilots.

For example, what if a pilot phones me this morning regarding a flight this afternoon from Bristol to Jersey in a PA28. I go through the weather with him, it is nil wind and CAVOK all the way, I check his fuel plan, load sheet and the MEL. Do I say yes that is fine for you to go.

So should I check he has an immersion suit, PLB, lifejacket flares, if he hasn't should I advise him to delay the flight until June. Again the issue is my duty of care, if I do not tell him that he needs the above euipment and he ditches and dies of hypothermia, what is my position in law?

Within the framework of flying clubs and the military authorisation I think authorisation and mentoring, yet the problem is where the aircraft owner and operator will not take advice.