PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pasadena Police - two OH-58s make contact
Old 10th Mar 2018, 14:55
r22butters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2016parks
"Say the other chopper's blades weren't spinning and she parks in her spot without incident,...they're still too close. Now the other chopper starts to spin up and WHACK they hit! Who's to blame now"

I would think that regardless of what markings are painted on the ground, the arriving machine has a duty to stay far enough away from the parked machine so that both can be safely operated. But: in addition, the parked machine should not , thereafter, spool up unless it knows that it can do so safely. It's like driving your car--"who has the right of way" becomes secondary when one has the opportunity to avoid an accident. The doctrine is called "last clear chance".
Seems to me that the reason those markings are there on the ground are to ensure the aircraft are parked a safe distance from each other in the event someone may be landing with less than ideal visibility and therefore cannot judge accurately their distance from the other parked aircraft?

Is that why those markings are there? Anyone know for sure, 'cause I'm just guessing?