PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - (UK rules) Microlights on a LAPL
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2018, 20:07
Whopity

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I’m specifically concerned with those pilots who ONLY fly microlights and converted their UK PPL to a LAPL as that is what everyone ‘told’ them was their best (only) option when it seemed the UK PPL was going to be superseded. It turns out this was a mistake and many people were miss-informed but that is now irrelevant – they just need to find the best way forward now.
Lots of bad advice came out, but if you held a UK PPL there is nothing to stop you getting it back again or if its a lifetime licence that has not been cancelled then its still valid. I have alwsays advised people to hold both.
So… surely that means that you can continue to fly microlight aircraft on a LAPL whilst being in a position where you don’t meet the recency requirements to exercise the EASA laid down privilege of flying SEP aircraft?
Thats the conclusion you could draw from Art 150 however;
this article applies to any licence which authorises the holder to act as a member of the flight crew of an aircraft
Whilst the LAPL does not include an aircraft rating, its validity is maintained by experience, so if you do not fulfill the requirements of FCL.140A then the licence ceases to be valid.

How simple it all used to be. Hopefully, time on a 3 axis aeroplane will count for revalidation but I am not convinced yet.