PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia's national Qantas, tells staff to call Australia's settlement an "Invasion"
Old 7th Mar 2018, 00:35
megan

Received 392 Likes on 207 Posts
The word invasion is freely used in discussing white settlement of the country, but a reading of the orders given Governor Phillips shows the intent.
You are to endeavour by every possible means to open an Intercourse with the Natives and to conciliate their affections, enjoining all Our Subjects to live in amity and kindness with them. And if any of Our Subjects shall wantonly destroy them, or give them any unnecessary Interruption in the exercise of their several occupations. It is our Will and Pleasure that you do cause such offenders to be brought to punishment according to the degree of the Offence. You will endeavour to procure an account of the Numbers inhabiting the Neighbourhood of the intended settlement and report your opinion to one of our Secretaries of State in what manner Our Intercourse with these people may be turned to the advantage of this country.
The only criticism to make I think is the belief that you can move into anothers piece of turf and not expect blowback.

A question to AJ, is the word "mate" still OK? I mean, it does have sexual connotations. I'm a husband, father, grandfather, and "Poppy" to the little ones. Shove it AJ.