PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Martin Baker to be prosecuted over death of Flt Lt. Sean Cunningham
Old 6th Mar 2018, 20:13
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMS,

Really good post, and you raise some very good points.

I was trained to be aware of the fact that the best way to really b****r up any system was to start disturbing it. Our servicing reviews in the 80s were always aimed at extending servicing intervals wherever possible. If you DID have to make a regular check on a system, you made sure that the check was as repeatable and non-intrusive as possible. I remember the QRB saga, and can add the RN's own saga with Sea King generator issues, where the damn things were coming out every 5 minutes as the problems mounted up.

One point I'd like to make, and I'm really sorry if my various blatherings have created the wrong impression. There never was a 'golden age', in my view. (I think this phrase first cropped up in the Haddon-Cave report). In my period going through from a callow youth to the giddy heights of a Commander, I saw plenty of errors, and made more than a few myself.

I lost good friends along the way, as well.

Luckily, I usually had bosses and subordinates who were not afraid to tell me I'd cocked up, and put me right. I was also fortunate to be in the Navy, where engineers were treated as an equal part of the team, and accorded respect by aircrew (once they'd earned it, of course).

I do think I was lucky in my timing, as we had the room to make decisions at a fairly junior rank, our concise RN engineering regulations were based on the principle of telling us what we couldn't do, not what we were allowed to do. We also had larger fleets of aircraft and more bases, which gave us all a better chance of getting the requisite experience as we moved through the system. We also had quite excellent technical Civil Servants (and contractors) working with and alongside us, sharing lessons and knowledge.

Last point. Whatever the system they have to work within, 'the youth of today' are absolutely excellent. The young engineers and aircrew I encounter are simply outstanding, and deserve our respect and support as they serve their country.

Best regards as ever to all our service personnel,

Engines