PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 22:30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think it's unfair to suggest that most BA captains, certainly most LH BA Captains at any rate, are unlikely to have experienced the real low-cost world that started with the birth of Ryanair. How many could honestly hold their hands up and say they have worked 5 days of 4 sector days, 25 minute turn arounds, helping to clean the aircraft, filling up water bottles from taps outside portacabins, not getting any food or drink provided, paying for their own hotels...the list goes on.
Oh, how very, very true!

However. I have worked 14 consecutive (LONG!) Days. Living in a sleeping bag. In a freezing cold tent. Going flying wearing an AR5 respirator. Eating cardboard sandwiches, from a cardboard box! Without a pot to p1ss in! (Swing the Tillie!) All in the mid eighties. A year or two before “low-cost” (perhaps even you?) was a twinkle in Stelios, and/or MoL’s eye?

(In fact elsewhere, I believe my record was 28 consecutive days on duty. Available for call out 24 hours a day!!)

Oh, and at times, people were shooting at me!

But of course, being one of those LH Jonnies, I’ve never known what REAL hardship is!

I defer to your superior experience.

Four Yorkshiremen indeed!

And yet, I have also known, 7 day trips to the Caribbean! Bus juice. One out, one back. Etc. Etc.

Does that make me a bad person??

Yet bizarrely, actually. The times in a scratcher in a tent were by a country mile, the best of my life!

Just because you’re sitting next to a fat old git in the LHS. Please don’t presume you’ve lived the same life they have! You MAY not be entirely correct!

Last edited by 4468; 3rd Mar 2018 at 23:42.