PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Visited a careers seminar in the UK and need some advice
Old 27th Feb 2018, 11:02
Old and Horrified

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could just add from my own experience in helping (by funding) my son to get his CPL(H). It took him a couple of years and I enjoyed it as it involved lots of hours building trips which I rode along with. We visited several interesting places and had many nice pub lunches in places I would not have visited otherwise. He was also promised work at the end of it but not before having to pay to get a B206 rating.

Because it had to be VRF the work could only be pleasure flights, occasional weddings, a couple of Cheltenham contracts and similar. Many trips were cancelled at the last minute due bad weather. In the end he earned enough to cover his ongoing expenses
(LPCs etc.) but certainly not enough to live on. Reluctantly he decided to give it up and recently ended up in Dubai working as a skydiving instructor.

That was 6 years ago, and I don't think the job situation is much different now.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do - PM me if you want a free set of 2007 ATPL textbooks!