PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Visited a careers seminar in the UK and need some advice
Old 27th Feb 2018, 09:01
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WillyPete.
Careful there, you are very cynical.
If we told every wannabee the same depressing message, the helo industry would drift further into the doldrums. Agreed there is a fine line between the state of the RW market and future aspirations but one only gets out what one puts in. And for me, the more professional the student, the better the industry.
The message that would concern me from this (very respectable) outfit is that they are hiring individuals to become FI's and that is a dead end job.
One would hope people aspire to a little higher than that after forking out £100k.

Careful about your FW reference. My son has just completed his FTE integrated course and the employment rate is 100% currently for all the 150 students who pass through ti each year, of which 66% are already guaranteed a job provided they pass the course (by various airlines). Of course this is due to the spike in pilot demand which is going exponential at the moment (300,000 pilots needed over the next 13 years - globally).
Salaries for FW. Worst - Ryanair (£26k). Best - there are a few but Easy offers £38.
The good news with Ryanair is that by clocking up 900hrs a year (soon to go to 1000!) you get Captaincy in 4-6 years. Easy: 6 years. IAG: 15 years.
ALL Captains of the main stream airlines start @ £100k. Senior TRE/IRE's at the top of their trade: £250k.
So an 18 year old leaving FTE/Oxford /L3 with a CPL(IR) MCC JOC can expect to be earning £100k by the time they are 22/23+. Not a bad return for £100k eh?

The question is: in 20 years, will there be any training schools if FW go pilotless?
Overall, the airline industry is reasonably well paid