PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Visited a careers seminar in the UK and need some advice
Old 27th Feb 2018, 08:43
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Morning Kraxous.

Over the last 10 years, I have mentored 3 wannabees. Each started from normal backgrounds and each wanted to fly helicopters (even though the lure of FW constantly beckoned).
One was an outdoor guide (ex marine), one was a paramedic and one was civil engineering technician. They now fly: HEMS, Police and Offshore oil respectively.

My advice is this:
This decision is a life changer. Don't mess around.
Know what your end game is. Make sure it is either well paid or great fun or both! Steer well clear of the monotony of being an instructor or other hour building scenarios.
Obtain your license as fast as possible with minimum disruption and maximum application which invariably means the integrated route. Modular can and does grind some people down. More money to find for the integrated at the outset but you stay fresh and current. Future employers prefer integrated students from a respectable school because they know the standard of training you have received.
The RW industry isn't as consolidated as the FW world so expect to apply yourself that little bit more to achieve the aim. It isn't as cosseted as the FW world either and you will learn that it is rougher around the edges in places.
If you want this to be your career - you MUST obtain an IR. Your options without one are very very limited.
So, the pain:
Not much change out of £100k,
Lots of exams and study.
Job vacancies are there but you will have to network and get your face in front of the hirers.
The gain: Flying a 3D machine that cheats gravity and offers the most versatile form of aviation anywhere.
Transition period (Training, to employment): 2-3 years.
Head for the turbine fraternity - Corporate/HEMS/Police/Rigs.
Steer clear of: training schools/utility/piston work.

Salaries with an IR: Around £40k all the way up to £150k (Offshore TRE).
The norm is: £45 to £70 for a helicopter Captain, by far.
Without an IR: £25k to £50k for a Captain.

Personally - If I had to do it all over again, I would fly FW airlines for a living and then helos on the side for fun.

A mortgage @ 3% these days means repayments of £3000/annum to achieve this. Each of the three I dealt with did just that and have never looked back. Doctors and Vets are now paying these prices for their quals, so it's not unusual anymore.

Good luck.