PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanish government declares ATPL as equivalent to a University degree
Old 20th Feb 2018, 18:40
BehindBlueEyes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suppose when it matters, I would rather someone who is a damn good pilot up at the pointy end than a member of MENSA or a First from Oxbridge.

When a relative of mine was training at a well known Spanish flight school, there were several graduates, one even with a degree in aeronautical engineering, who struggled with the sheer volume of learning and, despite being used to studying, found the course no easier than the non graduates.

Interestingly, my daughters English degree could easily have been ‘compressed’ into a one year course, rather than the three years it took. She only had lectures a handful of times a week so she was able to hold down a part time job as well (and still came away with a First) She was at a top class university but they were pretty spoon fed over what to study and how and when their essays were due. Whereas at flight school, my nephew worked 9 - 5 every day in class, then 3 - 4 hours studying in the evening. In contrast to my daughter, if he didn’t understand anything or felt he needed help, it was up to him to seek out the tutor or do his own research.

Finally, I wonder if any flight students would think about suing because they didn’t get a job at the end of the course?

Graduate loses bid to sue Oxford over 2:1 degree - BBC News