PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2018, 17:21
pulse1

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
I was really surprised to see that the IAF operated the Vengeance (I think that technically that should be the RIAF as I believe that they had the Royal Charter in 1944) The reason for my surprise is that I am just coming to the end of one of the best reads I have enjoyed for a long time. It is the autobiography of AVM Harjinder Singh who built up the aircraft engineering and maintenance side of the IAF from 1932 right up to the 70's when he retired as AVM. Although the book covers most types operated throughout that period, I do not recall any mention of the Vengeance. It may be that, by 1944, Harjinder's attention was spread too widely and he spent some time in the UK. It is interesting that he doesn't mention the Dakota until after the war so I wonder if the USA provided engineering support. He did spend time in Burma earlier on in the war keeping their squadron of IAF Lysanders going against the Japanese. He had modified all the IAF Lysanders to carry two 250lb bombs instead of the practice bombs they were designed to carry. Until Indian independence, all the types he worked on seemed to be of UK origin, from Wapitis up to Tempests. However, at that time, he demonstrated amazing engineering and leadership skills by restoring about 40 or so Liberators which became an important part of the IAF for another 20 years.

For anyone interested, "Spitfire Singh" is very well written by Mike Edwards MBE who, as a BA pilot, spent a lot of time in India and helped the IAF to restore their Vintage Aircraft to flying status.

The first leading pilot of the fledgling IAF was Sqdn Ldr Bouchier who, when he met Harjinder again as AVM Sir Cecil Bouchier KBE CB DFC, said to him, "Yours must be the most romantic career of any man, in any service, anywhere in the world."

I also learned through this book that the very apt title of David Hill's excellent book "Their Greatest Disgrace" is not original. It was used by the head of the RAF in India in 1934 when he accused the fledgling IAF of bringing "the greatest disgrace upon themselves". Seems like some RAF VSOs have a long history of being in the wrong.