PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Link Trainee First Officer Level 1&2
Old 11th Feb 2018, 22:29
Super G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mature age at Qlink

Originally Posted by dwpegasus
Out of curiosity, has anybody heard about a mature age candidate being accepted as a trainee or DEFO. Aka older than 35-40.
G'day,

I was accepted by Qlink back in 2011 as 40 year old with around 1900TT, 1300 multi engine, mostly turbine time. Would have had a command on the Q400 in around 18 months had I not resigned to return to a higher paying gig. Only resigned as there was no clear career path at the time to mainline. That changed somewhat soon there after.

As an aside, 8 out of the 10 guys and girl who started on my early 2011 Q400 course are now on heavy jets in Dubai, Asia or here in Oz as late 20s/early 30's year old. Qlink is a great place to work and build valuable experience. My experience - terrific people and challenging but fun aircraft to fly. And the training is world class.

Re your age - like any modern, progressive organisation Qlink places knowledge, experience and ATTITUDE above anything else. Note caps on attitude. Humility, a willingness to learn every day, keen situational awareness and the ability to learn from one's (and others) mistakes is key in any aviation job.

My advice, if you have the hours they require to apply and can afford starting out on the $70k odd (could have this wrong) they pay now then go for it.