PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reputation of Aussie pilots overseas
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2018, 08:39
Snakecharma

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
It is interesting the number of people who are happy to sling **** at Australian pilots for sticking by the rules.

I agree there are those that walk amongst us that cant see the wood for the trees, but equally there are many amongst us that can see the big picture, are big T little C checkers and who live to provide quality training and impart knowledge.

People were willing to jump on Keg for the telling of his story, but to be honest i cant understand why, the BA crew, on repeated occasions, said they would willingly exceed the max certified tailwind component of their aircraft.

Unless i misunderstood him, his issue was not landing with 15 kts of tailwind, but the willingness of the other crew to disregard the limit, and not only disregard the limit but tell the world they were willing to do so.

I have no issues with a crew making an observation of the wind and making a determination that the wind is either inside or outside their limits, i personally dont get too wound up by FMC wind indications particularly in the last part of the approach, as they are not a super accurate indication of actual wind, but i will make a determination based on a whole bunch of considerations.

We need big picture thinkers not nit pickers, but i think that is a broader issue not limited to Australians.

I have not flown for an asian carrier but my friends that have or do tell me that their checking styles are very big C and very small T so to limit the Oztronaut tag to Aussies is a bit unkind.