PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help researching 1961 Electra crash
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2018, 14:46
Concours77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by megan
I'm afraid you don't understand the system. A control surface always requires a reverse command to return the surface to its neutral point, matters not if its boost on or off. Thats presuming you keep your hands on the controls. Removing your hands the controls will return to their trimmed position. The boost pilot valve is the one that returns to its neutral point after the control movement has taken place.The aileron deflected because of the fact the cable separated and the remaining attached cable imparted a right wing down command.
I’m afraid you don’t understand my comments. Hands removed from controls return the control surfaces to neutral, unless trim is supplied through the (unboosted) Trim cables.

With “no authority” due to “separated” control cables, the ailerons should have returned to neutral. Reversal of control to roll left had no effect because the co-pilots cable had separated and de-tensioned the system, and foreclosed a roll left, OR right.

Neither (remaining) control cable had any effect, the system was without continuity, there was no ability to roll either direction, to increase, or release right roll.

That is based on the CAB finding, which I disagree with. The roll remained constant, and irreversible, due to a damaged aileron locked at three degrees up.

Boost had nothing to do with it, neither did a remaining and fully untensioned primary control cable.

Without any effect in aileron, Electra pilot’s release the wheel, to allow the control surfaces to regain a nested and neutral position; I find it unlikely there was aileron trim in play, either aileron up, or down.

Which is interesting, because in fifty years of hindsight, aileron Trim May have saved the day, since it was the only remaining authority in Roll, as demonstrated both by the report, and by me. In the CAB’s case, it is suggested only by its omission from the report?

Oops. I reread my comments. Left out is the part about hands off. It was my intent to say the ailerons return to neutral hands off, it is in the manual. Read the manual?

Last edited by Concours77; 9th Feb 2018 at 14:51. Reason: Blunder, and correction