PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help researching 1961 Electra crash
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2018, 00:33
G0ULI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concours77

I can envisage a situation where a developing whirl mode might cause an incorrectly assembled aileron cable to break. The vibration and flex of the wing adding just enough stress to part a misassembled joint.

Since all aircraft wings are designed to flex, often by several feet at the wingtips, the designers would have taken this into consideration when planning the control cable run for the ailerons. They would assume in their calculations that everything was assembled correctly and in good condition.

You propose a plausible mechanism as to how the aileron cable broke when it did, but the root cause was still incorrect assembly and ajustment by the ground engineers.

As far as the flap and aileron experiment is concerned, I believe that it was conducted to ensure that neither part could significantly interfere with the other. I don't think it was conducted to see if whirl mode was more likely at certain power settings as a series of experiments had already been carried out to determine the cause of the two previous whirl mode accidents where aircraft lost their wings. Then there is the question of whether flap would reduce the ability of a disconnected aileron to return to a neutral position in the slipstream. Clearly in this case, the ailerons remained displaced, so it was important to determine why this happened. I believe that it was determined that the ailerons were held in place by residual hydraulic pressure from the boost system. Once the control cable separated, the valves would have remained at their last commanded position.