PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help researching 1961 Electra crash
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2018, 23:10
Concours77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More...

Hello,

From the (sim) angles alone, my guess of angle of Bank at RR embankment impact is no more than forty degrees, likely less.

The angle of crossing included with angle of descent, plus dihedral makes sense only if the scar is in the vertical. A ninety degree bank is impossible, with the reported orientation of the airframe, as it involves flight characteristics that involve nonsense. If head on, the aircraft would have been ninety degrees PLUS dihedral.

That there was wing left out to the fourth nacelle shows the engine parted with the wing? The engine is not part of the wing structure, it rests atop the upper wing surface.

Had Whirl Mode been “on everybody’s mind”, CAB made a decision not to address it. You have evidence Whirl was actively eliminated, or just dismissed? “Well, we can eliminate Whirl Mode.....” Erm, exactly why?

I have proof via my own eyeballs that Whirl Mode continued through 1969. LEAP did not eliminate the phenomenon; it added structure that was supposed to prevent it from damaging the aircraft.

The gearbox/torque shaft/engine was a pile driver, capable of tearing the three connected structures free of the original mounts.

“We’ll add an additional torque strut, and embellish the mounts...” Lockheed

“The battery catches fire, ok. We’ll enclose it in a steel box....” Boeing