PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help researching 1961 Electra crash
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2018, 20:01
BRDuBois

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The graphic labeled "Knife edge flying" was intended to show the forces involved. It's interesting that it would take about 24,000 lbs of force on the rudder to do this, and I don't seriously contemplate that it happened or that the structure could stand it if it were attempted.

The balance issues for the broken plane are totally relevant. I agree that in a 90 degree bank more of the right wing would have been lost, but the CAB said it survived to WS 293, which is nearly to the number four nacelle. In the final wreckage the number three nacelle is clearly intact on its underside. The remains under where the rest of that wing burned confirms that there was wing past nacelle three. That's one of the best arguments that it wasn't in a vertical bank.

I have found varied evidence that the plane was in a shallow bank. If anyone wants to do the modelling to show what an Electra in a vertical bank would do, they're free to do so. The Argentine crash gives a good example of an Electra crashing in a vertical bank. My goal is to adduce evidence for what I think actually happened. I've run through many possibilities, now I'm working on presenting my case.

The purpose in running a sim on the broken plane was to find out what it would do in its damaged state. The result was so striking that I animated it that way, and it's very much like seeing a hydrofoil blow over. It's not a matter of treating the CG as the only important aspect, but of seeing what the CG change would do. It's certainly a valid question.

The difference between that and my animation of the CAB scenario is obvious, and I think anyone viewing the CAB animation would dismiss it. The sim is evidence (though thin) and the animation is illustration.

As for whirl mode, it was never a possibility. My mom got regular updates from people involved and she kept us informed. Whirl mode was not on the table in any way.

The sound of an engine in heavy whirl mode vibration is distinctive, the prop tips can go supersonic, and it was never reported. Everyone was aware that the Electra had a troubled history, and they wanted this solved fast so the public could be reassured. But whirl mode was not in the scope.