PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2018, 18:57
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, this was a guy who just spent a few months at the beginning of our time with the Dornier 328 Turboprop. He did not seem to acclimate well to the local scene, so that he was gone within a few months. I never even got the chance to tease him much.

Distance seemed to add a lot to the basic insanity of trying to do aviation in Nigeria, in our case the distance from Blighty to the White Man's Grave, and it hit those guys who took everything seriously the hardest.

We had a CP Lagos Fixed-Wing who did take things seriously, which of course made him a tempting target for a loon such as I. He wanted things to run smoothly but I liked to see the train wrecks, of which there were plenty.

We had two Twotters that we ran pretty hard, when part of that was arranging it so that one of the engines would be time-ex on a Friday, to be changed over the weekend so that we were ready for a full schedule the following Monday.

Nominally the engine is a PT-6A-27, but one with a feature unique to the Twotter. Well, some clever dick in the UK sent us a PT-6A-28, which you usually can substitute for a -27, just not on the Twotter. They found out they had the wrong engine there in the hangar late on Friday afternoon, once they opened the crate ready to swap engines. So ... disaster.

When I got to the Spread Eagle later that evening there was our CP, hunched over staring a hole into the mahogany bar, deep in gloomy thought.

Of course I slithered up next to him and asked, "Heard any good PT-6 jokes lately?"

I've never seen anyone get stung on the butt by a scorpion, but I bet the reaction looks just like that. Well, it had been one of those long, hot, dull days, you see ....