PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reputation of Aussie pilots overseas
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2018, 09:49
Derfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Consol
Fair point Derfred but I did say it was in LHR but I should have been clearer. The guidance green lights and stop bars are used to facilitate taxiing, they are not the runway hold short bars which of course are extremely important. If recollection serves me correctly our CX Oz mate was rather pompously objecting to a stop bar not backing up a taxi clearance and the controller informed him that the verbal clearance took priority anyway. E.g. You are still supposed to stop in accordance with your verbal clearance even if the lights indicate you may procede.

I didn't intend to start a thread drift on stop bars, once again my point was merely an observation on why this guy felt the need to loudly call out (twice) a very efficient ATC operation when a simple query would have done the job and been easier on our ears. I query ATC clearances most days without a ceremony and get on with the job then.
I hear you loud and clear!

Prior to your response I actually just edited my post “no excuses for vexed or excited R/T”, and it’s probably this that was the Austronaught problem rather than the stop bars.

I don’t know that vexed and excited R/T is a particular Austronaught problem, but they do have a habit of questioning questionable ATC clearances, which is a highly admirable trait.

For example:

ATC: Turn left heading 090, descend 3000 (into a mountain)
Not good pilot: Left heading 090, descend 3000
Austronaught: Negative
ATC: CORRECTION, TURN RIGHT, REPEAT RIGHT...