PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2018, 13:54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don’t think it’s very smart to put pilots with no jet experience straight on to LH. Sorry, but that’s my view! Particularly the case if there’s lots of heavy sectors on the fleet. That kind of decision is driven by accountants. Not pilots!

OTOH. Yes, joining on SH puts you at, what some consider as, the bottom of the pile. But believe it or not, there are actually some advantages. As has been explained by a previous poster, accelerated progression up the status list being one of them. Particularly significant one imagines with JSS? On SH, since most destinations are frankly, much of a muchness, pretty much the only significant differentiator between the upper parts of the list, and the lower, are the days of the week you choose to work, and access to one or two significant days off in a month, such as birthdays, wedding anniversaries, night School, sporting fixtures etc. You will get that sort of control FAR earlier on SH! Not to mention Xmas at home!!

Alternatively, join LH at the bottom, and spend your life going to the Middle East in the height of summer, or North America in the winter. West coast of Africa or India. If you’re really lucky, you’ll join a fleet that has decent destinations. But you’ll only get to them when nobody else wants to go. You’ll also work every Xmas and probably New Year, that you can’t protect with leave or duty free week! Oh, and best get used to more people joining your status list above you, than below you!

Those who join BA first will ALWAYS enjoy the advantage of seniority over those who join even the following day. In BA (currently!) Seniority is EVERYTHING! If I was offered SH today, or LH next week. The answer is a no brainer! SH today please!!

Life is full of stepping stones. If you moan about SH, you’re probably the kind of person that will moan about LH! Do your damndest to enjoy wherever you are TODAY. Because that’s where you live your life!

Last edited by 4468; 5th Feb 2018 at 14:04.