PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A question please to all you ATC professionals
Old 3rd Feb 2018, 13:07
Talkdownman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bergerie1
So my questions are:-
1. Between airways Red One and Blue One what would the call sign be for ATC radar - would it be London Radar or London Military?
2. If they require to fly further north and obtain clearance to cross Blue One, where would they need to change frequency, and to whom?
3. After declaring a 'Pan' call, do you think Bedford would accept them?
Originally Posted by eckhard
1. London Mil.
2. I think that London Mil would have been able to coordinate a crossing of Blue One. If not, they would have handed the flight to London Control and would have given the aircraft the new frequency and maybe squawk.
Agreed on the Blue One crossing, but I believe that the military radar callsign would have been "Eastern Radar" (from JATCRU Watton) over the North Sea in the early eighties. "London Mil" was LJAO (London Joint Area Organisation), more mainland, and at that time provided from LATCC West Drayton (it started life as SEJAO). I can't remember when JATCRU Watton closed, but I think it was mid-eighties. Bedford most definitely would have accepted a Pan call, they loved all that stuff. BOAC used to go up there for crew training.