PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2018, 23:27
NovemberCharlie92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Morning everyone,

I am intending on starting an application to join the RAAF as a DEO Pilot and have a quick query about the new Air Academy program that is being started up. I have spoken to DFR and they were apologetically uninformed about the new processes (not their fault at all) but seeing as some people here may be in the recruitment process, I thought some one here may have some guidance.

From all the information I can find on the DFR/Air Force website, there will be two pathways into the Air Academy, one being Pilot pathway and the other Mission Elementary pathway.

There are also a few areas where it states that you will not know which operational stream you will be selected for at the time of attending the Air Academy. The information also goes on to state that you will know which pathway (pilot or mission) that you will be on in the Academy at the time of your appointment.

As it is all a little confusing to me, my question is this. Can this be read into as if you apply as a pilot applicant and successfully get recommended for pilot throughout the ASP/OSB process, that your offer of appointment will state you will be on the pilot pathway, and that once you are down at the air academy you do not have the chance of being streamed off into air traffic control or air combat officer etc? Would I be correct in believing that it is only officer candidates on the mission elementary pathway side of things that have the uncertainty as to which role they will end up in?

As I will be leaving a different high paying job in the aviation industry to pursue this dream to become a pilot (if accepted obviously, never a guarantee), it would be comforting to confirm how I read the website in that I can apply to become a pilot but not accidentally become an air traffic controller without any input of my own.

Kind Regards.