PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2018, 00:40
A/F Armed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are going in for an interview it may be helpful to know that the restaurant scenario posed by the HR person at the interview is all about how you manage multiple issues at the same time. This comes straight from one of the pilots who sits on the recruiting panels. So it’s good information.
If it helps to make it more Aviation related just change the word restaurant for A380, Jumbo, 777, SAAB, Metro etc.
Change the term Restaurant Manager to Aircraft Captain.
The fussy customer is now a disgruntled passenger. The waiter with an attitude is now a flight attendant etc etc.

The questions are just to see how you will manage the situations that are being given to you. No different to being a pilot on whatever aeroplane you fly now in whichever seat you find yourself in. As a copilot, when the Captain falls over you are going to have to step up and take control of the situation.

Best of luck to everyone who’s applying. I’ve been told that recruitment will continue for a long time to come.

Originally Posted by V-Jet
That's not a joke either, folks. It also gives you an idea of the mental understanding the people who 'run' the airline actually have of what an airline really does. Qf pilots got an email a few years ago explaining how to identify a 747!

If it were me (and I'm pretty confident I wouldn't get in) I would -LOVE- to question the questioner as to what restaurant/business experience they actually have, and in fact have they ever even owned, run or managed said business. IE: given their provable lack of experience in those types of matters, what the hell are they doing asking absolutely stupid questions they have no personal idea of the 'right' answer to?

I suspect it's partly about choosing 100% yes men* who will swallow drivel from their incompetent managers without question. And that is EXACTLY the sort of person I would NOT want in the LH seat on an aircraft I was travelling on, and unlike an HR drone, I DO know what I'm talking about.

*Being slightly facetious I suspect women only need be 10% yes men (lesbians even less so) given current attitudes to gender equality at QF.