PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2018, 10:20
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Early Kenly Map

Nice one TM.
One wonders why they chose to build quite such a substantial unit on that site, rather than expand Croydon. Add some 16 hangars plus associated accommodation and it was quite an operation. Flintfield house and Grove survived to be used in WW2 but the location was never able to take further expansion into the 'jet age'. Quite a 'survivor' is our Kenley, and safe from the incapable hands of the RAF as they do not own it. 'Listing' did nothing to protect the classic Officers mess, however the landing area will be preserved so we have to be thankful for that. I wonder if there is a long term plan for the actual hard runways and will check to see if they are 'listed'. The location is an actual modern day battlefield, and as such considering the historic meaning of the 1940 Battle of Britain there should be more consideration to its future upkeep, and it worries me to think that the numpties at 2FTS have any part of it. If C5 sells me the Mk3 I will ensure it gets to Kenley for the RAF 100th year.