PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2018, 04:13
A Squared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptor090
You can either fly, or you can’t.

I’ve flown with 300 hours pilots who’s skill is better than some 3,000 hour pilots I’ve flown with. There are good and bad operators in EVERY aspect of the industry, GA, military and the airlines.

A good indication is time taken to solo. I think anything from 10 to 15 hours to solo is on the mark and these pilots generally progress to become competent pilots.

The point I’m making, is the pilot shortage can be resolved by lowering the unreasonable minimums required for the right hand seat. Hours aside, if the applicant is a good pilot, why do they not deserve a shot?

Let’s not forget, you only need a CPL as a minimum to fly as the FO. Asking for 2,000 TT, 500 multi PIC , ATPL and all the other crap they ask for to be an FO is over the top and unnecessary and doesn’t necessarily make them an outstanding pilot.

Something more reasonable would be 500 PIC and 3 years to attain the ATPL exam credits.

Raptor
So really, the only interview question that is ever relevant is "Did you solo in under 15 hours?"

Sounds kinda dumb, right? Yeah, exactly. Yes, I'm sure that if one looked hard enough, one could find an extraordinarily talented 300 hour pilot who was better than an extremely inept 3,000 hour pilot. But pretending that there's no difference between the average 3000 hour pilot and the average 300 hour pilot is a bit inane.