PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Update on vacancies
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2018, 09:27
chevvron

Received 94 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by obwan
Without wishing to appear too picky the cadets at the time obtained what was called a unit endorsement which was a validation in all but name. It allowed the trainee to work under distant supervision of an instructor which meant he/she didn't have to be plugged in. The course instructor who you refer to was Mr F.R Hunt and being a young innocent lad from the country never understood why he was called Mike, who I may add. was a very pleasant fellow. I also did the"fly a trident in 2 weeks " course and in light of the catastrophe which happened at Staines in 1972 remember how easy it was to retract the droop lever instead of the flaps.
Mike Hunt was course manager for odd numbered courses not an instructor.
In fact I remember now he was replaced by Chas Davies just before our graduation (Sep '74). Wasn't much for him to do as we'd already got our final postings.
As for 'distant supervision', I achieved UE at Glasgow (Twr/GMC) where my 'long lead' mentor was usually the supervisor in approach downstairs and at Lindholme where he normally stayed in the rest room (or somewhere else where he could light up). I came in one sunday morning and the Unit Training Officer was plugged in having done the night duty. He handed over to me and left, making no attempt to stay and supervise until someone else arrived! On the 'third' console we did at Lindholme (NJRSA latterly called 'Pennine Radar' operating on what is now Class G airspace upt to FL245) my mentor did the first session with me soon after I arrived and thereafter stayed in the rest room every time it was our 'turn' to do it.