PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2018, 01:56
chevvron

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by squawking 7700
Chevvron - you know what they say - how do you end up a millionaire in aviation.......start with ten million.

I know North Denes, and I've thought of asking when it was operational whether I could take an aircraft in but as I recall there wasn't a chance.
As to opening it up again for fixed wing (it's about 500m of grass) I don't think you'd get agreement from the council especially as the 27 threshold is not far from a busy main road (and a few houses).

I'll have a look next time I'm in Great Yarmouth.....but not with a view to buying it.
Back in 1969 I spent a couple of days in the area and North Denes was very busy with fixed wing traffic. I was at the stock car stadium and the 'short' north-south runway running right alongside it was in use with C150s.
I think the reason it's been rotary only for the last coupe of resurrections is because the airfield was operated unlicensed by the helicopter operators but with licensed ATC and still had iaps for the helicopters.
I know of a chap with a PC12 who asked about 8 years ago if he could go in there in spite of the short main runway; naturally he was refused.
You could still operate aero tows, SLMG/TMG and microlights there even with the short main runway though.
Wikipedia gives the runway lengths as 09/27 480m and 18/36 360m. For comparison, Netherthorpe is licensed 06/24 553m and 18/36 382m so not a lot of difference.