PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AMSA cost recovery
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2018, 00:27
Frank Arouet

Location: dans un cercle dont le centre est eveywhere et circumfernce n'est nulle part
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sir Angus, bless his soul, spent some $100 million of Australian Taxpayers money on an unsuccessful search for an Aircraft in the Indian Ocean. This I'm told was the proceeds of a surplus from the Aviation Fuel Tax which was found to be too hard to pay back to those who over paid it. I don't believe China outlaid as much despite their operating costs of a boat. Nobody knows how much Malaysia paid, or was billed for the search, or at least I can't find out, and compensation to families doesn't count.

Perhaps if AMSA had utilized this packet of money on its own domestic responsibilities people like you and I wouldn't suddenly have to "stump up" for our boats. We are only sailing in the areas of AMSA allocated waters, the same as every round the world racer does. Many of which have used the service, none of which have had to pay a toll to cross through.

Payment for services rendered is not objectionable, but unless somebody has hindsight or foreseeability, this is just another charge.

I challenge the AMSA Legal office to explain to me again the concept of foreseeability in law. I know they read this forum.

Last edited by Frank Arouet; 26th Jan 2018 at 00:20. Reason: spelling police got me