PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick-2
Thread: Gatwick-2
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2018, 14:19
canberra97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also just to add to Skips correct post.

This so called long list of airlines wanting to operate from LHR was more or less frabicated as part of Heathrow Airport Limited campaign for runway 3, it was stated at one point by a press release from LHR Limited as being 40 Airlines wanting access to LHR but I think that was hugely over exaggerated.

Since that was first announced about ten years ago we have seen several airlines commence operations from LHR so that list is obviously shorter than it previously was but I still find the original figure of 40 rather exaggerated.

Since that figure was first put out by Heathrow Airport Limited as part of their original campaign for Runway 3 ten years ago we have seen the following airlines operating from LHR either by buying slots, leasing slots, mergers, reciprocal slots as we're seeing with Cobalt using the former Aegean slots on LHR to LCA. Also many of those airlines were previously operating from London Gatwick until suitable slots were available at LHR.

In the last ten years in one way or another the following airlines have obtained slots at LHR.

Arik Air
Avianca
Beijing Capital Airlines
China Eastern
China Southern
Cobalt
Flybe
Garuda Indonesia
Philippine Airlines
Oman Air
Vietnam Airlines
Vueling

And that doesn't include expansion and extra slots obtained by the incumbent airlines expanding their LHR operations by buying or leasing slots or just moving slots around.

I have always been a LGW fanboy but I'm also a realist so I should imagine we can add China Airlines to that list at some point making that list of airlines wanting to serve LHR considerably shorter but absolutely no where near the exaggerated figure of 40 as was previously announced by LHR Limited. (Which btw I took with a very large pinch of salt and it amazes me how many took that comment so seriously and keep quoting it)