PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2018, 12:51
Why oh why

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squawking 7700
Before Southern Sailplanes commenced the overhaul, the assets' open market value was nil.

Those through the overhaul programme might be worth £30-40K each, having spent, reputedly, £100K per airframe.

Those left, are virtually worthless.

You'd have thought with the numbers at CGS/2FTS involved with engineering oversight (2 x Wing Commanders, Tech Sevices, Contract Management and Quality Audit) and that's in addition to the Serco/Oxford people, that between them they could've managed the paperwork a little better.
Imagine if this was any other aircraft maintenace operation, GA or airline, they'd have all been sacked - how many are still in post?
All i can say is i'm glad you're not my financial adviser.
All the non recovered airframes would of had some capital value no matter how many flooded the market at one time, there are plenty of eastern European gliding clubs would snap them up following the Blanik demise and shortage of affordable 2 seaters.
Say a mean price of G103 Acro is 24k for a well used one, flood the market with a disposal of assets and you'd get 16-17k all day long for each one..remember they've all got 9000+ hrs left in the world away from the VGS, thats 75% of usable life left
Spend the reputed 100-120k plus on each Membury recovered airframe and you'd only get 5-6k extra return on the gliders.