PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Things to ponder when considering EK
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2018, 06:40
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
greenfields

If people leave a Company, then surely they must be unhappy with that Company? Unless of course it's family reasons. I'm not disagreeing with WHY they leave, just that they'd still be here if life was acceptable to them, both personally in Dubai and professionally within EK. I also don't accept the argument that negative posts paint an accurate picture. Accurate posts paint an accurate picture and all of our viewpoints will be unique. From experience, the majority of those in the unhappy camp fall into three categories. Firstly, those mainly from the US that came here for work in 2008-2009 and never really intended staying long term. The second, and perhaps most aggrieved, are the 'victims' of fleet/training, whether justified or not and the third are pilots with personal issues. This will be those with bitter or acrimonious divorce especially where young kids move away. It makes life bloody difficult and commuting now becomes a big stressor too. My point being that our impression of the airline will be based directly on how it effects your own personal well being and lifestyle. There are many genuine concerns and not for one minute would anyone think this place is perfect, far from it. But, and maybe I'm wrong, your post alludes to the fact that these sometimes emotional and embellished posts are justified. Justified in the hope of significantly reducing new joiners and, therefore, force the Company into improving the package? Well, my argument to that is it's not necessary. Just the facts alone are enough to prove we're already falling way behind what other airlines are offering. Post such as that from Yorkshire pudding do us no favours. Is that really from a professional pilot? I shan't even start on Talparc!

TyphoonPilot

Yes, as with a lot of your posts, I agree. However, the reason for highlighting the two US individuals was exactly as you stated. Because that region is now recruiting heavily again, the number of US pilots in EK has reduced dramatically. There were almost 20% here in 2011. Now there are around 11%. The bond is a contentious issue but I would have to ask myself that if their intention was to leave, and they must have known approximately when, is it right to accept the course ahead of someone who would be staying? It's cost in time, precious training manpower and simulator resources that those individuals took when they could have been better utilised for a longer term upgrade candidate. I'm not looking at it entirely from the Companies perspective, more from a selfishly shafting your colleague one, but I can see why the airline imposed it. One individual leaving in 2006 is slightly different to 4 in quick succession in 2017. That statistic clearly reflects how EK is no longer the airline of choice. Unless something dramatic is done within the next 12-18 months, conditions here will only deteriorate further.

YP

Why not spend half an hour looking through the outstation briefs. I think you'll find plenty of hotels away from the airport to make your sad life happier!

Just off the top of my head on the Boeing fleet alone, SEA, MCO, FLL, EZE, BNE, SIN, RGN, HKT, VIE, MUC, GLA, NCL, BUD. There are plenty more.

Harry

Last edited by harry the cod; 24th Jan 2018 at 07:40.