PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Call Signs
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 20:39
Flightrider

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A good chuckle reading this thread.

Yes, Bealine is still used by the BA maintenance tugs at Heathrow - not uncommon to hear "Bealine Papa Echo" or similar requesting a re-position of an evening. Luckily for the residents nearby, it's an A319 going for maintenance nowadays instead of a Trident 1 going for engine runs.

Trying to choose an acceptable callsign which remains available for a new airline isn't easy. I seem to recall we tried everything we could think of to inject some humour but failed miserably.

"Thunderbird" was already taken by an airline in Canada. Our aim to generate a laugh every time by calling for push-start as "Thunderbird One" failed miserably.

Next request was for "Nighthawk" as a run of faux-French accents calling 'allo 'allo to London would have brightened up the morning. That was a no-go too, for reasons I can't recall.

We tried all sorts and by a process of elimination ended up with something so mundane that I now can't even remember what it was. Efforts to brighten up the airwaves well and truly grounded.